London to Paris - It's On!
So after 6 months of training, the London to Paris cycling challenge is finally upon Team Leathers!
On Wednesday 16 May, four of the team from the office, Zoe, Barry, Joe and Heather, and two close friends of the firm Lauren and Michael, will be setting off on the 300 mile journey from Crystal Palace to the Eiffel Tower.
Spread over 4 days, averaging around 70 miles a day, the challenge promises to be both tough and rewarding in equal measure; if the training is anything to go by, we’re in for some fun too!
Highlights of the last 6 months include:
- Zoe, Joe and Heather not listening to Barry telling them to a) get bikes ASAP and b) get on the turbo trainer as much as they can so that they can enjoy the ride in May……
- Barry taking the team out for lessons on how to use the bikes, and being blamed for everything from the weather, to the “hills” (they’re not hills, they’re just roads), to all the punctures…..
- Heather being blown off her bike on her first ever ride after being overtaken by a bus….
- Joe realising “stirrups” for pedals was never going to work….
- Barry falling off his bike in spectacular fashion (over the handle bars into a ditch) after only 2.5 miles of a sportive and being forced to walk back to the start….
- Zoe finally realising, with a week to go, that the tyres on her bike were causing all of the punctures, and promptly deciding to upgrade……
Considering three of the team had never ridden a road bike before February, the progress which they’ve made so far has been incredible. One last push is needed to get them over that line in Paris!
The team have been overwhelmed by the support of friends, family, colleagues, and even people who have no idea who we are. St Oswalds Hospice have also been fantastic in helping with all of the fundraising and the logistics.
And, finally, let’s not forget the reason why we’re putting ourselves through this – to raise as much money for St Oswald’s Hospice as possible!
Donations, big and small can still be made here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/leathersfundraiser
Look out for more updates next week from the ride itself.